This is just wrong!
I can't stomach the Marilyn Monroe page on Facebook. There is nothing on this page but promotions, misquotes & misinformation. To say that I don't like the page is an understatement, it actually makes my skin crawl with revulsion. Whoever is writing on this Facebook wall needs to stop with the promotions, DO SOME RESEARCH (there's plenty of information out there - READ A BOOK!!!) and post information that Marilyn herself may have actually deemed worth of sharing!!! Ever hear of accountability and discretion, you slimy marketing, promo asshole (I'm pointing at you CMG, NBC (Smash - crap show) et al.)!
It's understandable that Facebook (and those who are promoted on the page) probably appreciate the attention a Marilyn Monroe page would get them. It's also VERY skeevy to allow the creation of a page under someone's name who isn't alive and obviously can't speak for themselves (including Elvis, Janis and anyone of the deceased persons who now have Facebook pages and who probably never would have created a Facebook page OUT OF PRINCIPLE and a desire for discretion and privacy!!!).
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a policy in place on Facebook discouraging the misappropriation of an identity (regardless of whether or not there's some type of celebrity status involved and the fact that it's obvious the name of the person on the page isn't actually them and/or posting thoughts this person probably never would have expressed on any public forum)?
To anyone who "likes" the page - Are you that much of a fair-weather, trend-riding friend/fan? Do you subsist on trends and hoping on the "I'm in the know about all things Marilyn" train? Are you that misinformed?
Let's visit and promote sites that pay due homage to Marilyn gracefully, factually and with intentions that thoughtfully respect her legacy and memory. Don't just say "I'm a fan and I love Marilyn." - MEAN IT!!! Pick up and read any of the hundreds of biographies available about our dear girl and acquire some in depth knowledge about the ACTUAL PERSON and fellow human being for whom you claim to have so much love and adoration. That goes for any of the other persons who now have Facebook pages, who are also deceased and can't speak for themselves.

No comments:
Post a Comment